#38 The equation for photosynthesis
Photosynthesis is the fundamental process by which plants manufacture food molecules (carbohydrates) from raw materials (CO2 and H2O) using energy from light.
1.The equation for photosynthesis
- The raw materials are CO2, H2O and light energy.
- The products are glucose (starch) and O2
The process of photosynthesis
- Green plants take in CO2 through their leaves (by diffusion).
- H2O is absorbed through plants’ roots (by osmosis), and transported to the leaf through xylem vessels.
- Chlorophyll traps light energy and absorbs it.
- This energy is used to break up H2O molecules, than to bond hydrogen and CO2 to form glucose.
- Glucose is usually changed to sucrose for transport around the plant, or to starch for storage.
- O2 is released as a waste product, or used by plant for respiration.
- In this process, light energy is converted to chemical energy for the formation of glucose and its subsequent storage.