#35 Using yeast to make bread and beer
Yeast is a single celled, microscopic fungus which uses sugar as food. It is widely used in food industries such as baking and brewing.
- Mix yeast with flour, sugar and H2O to make dough.
- Kept dough warm: Yeast respires sugar to produce CO2. This make dough rise.
- When the bread is baked, the yeast is killed.
- Yeast respires sugar (from juice, grain) to form ethanol and CO2.
- The ethanol makes the drink alcoholic, carbon dioxide gives the drink its fizz.
- The process is called fermentation.